Tuesday 8 January 2008

There is no place like home.

First stop, the mother city, Cape Town. I have so been looking forward to showing the team my beautiful home country, with its landscapes, passion, pride, beauty and diversity.
Through the grapevine and other means I learned that some team members were a little scared to visit Mzansi. Of course this was hurtful to hear, but reading up in various media, what is portrayed is horrendous. Some websites still speak of apartheid not only in a dismissive manner, but some sites make it seem as though South Africa is a country of raging war, violence and extreme racism. I’m not going to ignore or even justify the past turbulence, one just has to experience South Africa without preconceived ideas. The misunderstanding is not exclusive to South Africa, or even the entire African continent. Media and even ex-residents maliciously misrepresent a lot of countries.
I try, with every place I have visited and will visit, go in with an open mind, explore the place and let it show me its story.

Back to the lighter side of this rambling.
Cape Town has always held a special place in my heart, it’s always going to be here a place I love the most. When I was nineteen, with R1000 between me and somewhat poverty I relocated on a whim. Knowing no one and without a thought out plan, I made this city my new home and I was welcomed with open arms.

Cape Town, with its magnificent landmarks such as well known Table Mountain, ice cold beaches, warm and friendly people, a cosmopolitan mix of old and new, European and African brought together beautifully, Cape Town is a one in a million kinda city and I love it.

Driving on highway and seeing the different faces in the cars, I’d almost forgotten how much pleasure that the diversity of this country brought me. The different accents, cultures, ethnicities and tribes, the food, the music, the history and future of a place with such a young democracy, the creativity and the passion, the warmth, happiness and the pride of the people of Azania, there really is no place like home.
Time and time again, I think about how lucky I am being a South African, this tour teaches me everyday to appreciate everything I have.

On the radio today I heard some of my favourite South African artists. It made me so happy I almost cried, South African music I had so missed.

It’ll be a while before I see my family and my wonderful boyfriend because they live in Johannesburg, I don’t mind, at least I am spending the time in my favourite city.

I hope the team has a great time and that the content we create reflects that. S.A. is a wonderful place and almost impossible to get bored.

No comments:

 
The views expressed by The Smirnoff Ten reflect the individuals opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Smirnoff Co.